Monday, January 22, 2007

Oedipus Rex

Part 2
1. example #1- Pg. 962, line 60- "Poor Children! You may be sure I know all that you are deathly sick; and yet, sick as you are, not one is as sick as I."
examply #2- Pg. 991, line 27- "And now of all men ever known, most pitiful is this man's story: His fortunes are most changed, his state fallen to a low slave's ground under bitter fate."
2. Oedipus evokes pathos from the audience because they know that it is he that killed King Laios. Oedipus does not know that he killed the King, but yet throughout the whole story he is determined to pay revenge on whoever did kill the King. As his determination to pay revenge grows, the audiences determination to reveal the fact that Oedipus is the killer grows as well.
3. Imagery allows the audience to feel as if they are almost there. This helps to evoke more emotion from the reader, and makes the play more intriguing to read.
4. -Oedipus' pride and determination
-the towns feelings of reliance on Oedipus
-revenge
5. The Strophe is singing about saving the town from the plague and doom, while the Antistrophe is singing to wish for a quick doom to end the suffering.

Part 3
1. First two passages that explain Teiresias' role in the story:
- "Then if 'it' is bound to come, then you are bound to tell me."
- "Listen to me. You mock my blindness, do you? But I say that you, with both your eyes, are blind."
Second two passages that explain his internal conflict:
- "No; I will never tell you what I know. Now it is my misery; then, it would be yours."
- "I will go when I have said what I have to say."
2. The external conflict is the desperation of the town, especially of Oedipus (dramatic irony), to find who the killer is.
3. One example of Oedipus' hubris is when he is talking to Teiresias and he exclaims "You child of endless night! You cannot hurt me or any other man who sees the sun." Another example is when he exclaims "Wealth, power, craft of statesmanship! Kingly position, everywhere admired!"
4. Dramatic Irony:
-Oedipus' desperation to find the murderer
-"You sightless, witless, senseless, mad old man!" PG. 970, line 154
5. Paradox:
-PG. 972, line 244- "If later you find error in what I have said, You may say that I have no skill in prophecy."-Teiresias
6. As usual, the Strophe shows feelings of sympathy for Oedipus and his fate. The Antistrophe, on the other hand, sees the situation as maybe being better if he is gone.

Hope you have enjoyed! :)

No comments: