Monday, January 22, 2007

Martin Luther King...What's the Big Deal?

What is the big deal? Why did Ms. Chiang just make us read that incredibly long Letter from Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King? Well one thing is for sure, I am glad I did. Martin Luther King; I'm not sure there are words that can describe the acts of selfless courage and goodness he has done. Sure, there is still the issue of race today, but the big deal is the fact that his achievements are still present in todays society. The big deal is that he took the unbudgeable issue of racism and inequality, made it budge, and in the end brought it to the surface for the world to face. The big deal is that I have the priviledge of sitting here in class with kids of all colors, and I don't have to even think twice about it. Martin Luther King devoted his very life to making the future better for others. He protested, went to jail, and over all died for the sake of all races. That is the big deal.

No comments: